The RES Medal for Services to the Economics Profession is open for nominations. This medal is a new annual award to recognise an individual who has made an outstanding and lasting contribution to the economics profession in one or more of three dimensions: promoting economics; supporting economists; improving diversity.
Guidance for nominators:
- You must be a current RES member to make a nomination
- Your nominee must be UK-based (defined as working primarily in the UK at the time of nomination)
- The nomination should be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from at least one further person (not necessarily a RES member)
- Self-nominations are not permitted
- You should declare any institutional or personal interest
- To nominate, submit a short justification (up to two pages) to email@example.com as well as a short biography or CV of your nominee. Please use the subject line ‘Services to the Profession Medal’.
The justification should evidence how the nominee has made an outstanding and lasting contribution to the economics profession in one (or more) of the three dimensions above. The examples below are not intended to be exhaustive but rather to guide nominators in the types of activity relevant to each category.
- Promoting economics – for example in improving the public understanding of economics, furthering links between economics and other disciplines, or the application of economics to wider challenges
- Supporting economists – for example in teaching, mentoring, contributions to professional bodies, contributions to grant reviews, policy consultations etc
- Improving diversity – for example in contributing to a better understanding of the reasons for a lack of diversity in the profession, taking steps to address this underrepresentation.
A nominations and judging panel which includes the RES President and three members of Council is responsible for producing a shortlist and selecting a winner. The Medal, which is a non-monetary award, will typically be awarded at the RES Annual Conference.
Nominations should be received by 23:59 on 25 November 2022.
For more information, click here.